Mark Holton's top 10 tips for customer service for accountants
|Mark Holton talks about the 9 key things you see in successful accounting firms when it comes to client or customer service?”|
1. Listen -You are in business to service customer needs, and you can only do that if you know what it is your customers want. When you truly listen to your customers, they let you know what they want and how you can provide good service. Listen to their words, tone of voice, body language, and most importantly how they feel.
2. Find the solution – Unlock and anticipate needs. Customers don’t buy products or services. They buy solutions to their problems. ANd they buy from [people who they trust and have a relationship with. Eric Tjoeng talks about “Human to Human”
3. Make customers feel special – Make customers feel important and appreciated. Treat them as individuals. Always use their name and find ways to sincerely compliment them. Greg Kay talks about the customer experience thats all important
4.Systemise and train . Help customers understand your systems. Take time to explain how your systems work and how they can integrate their systems to simplify transactions.
5. Say YES!! -Appreciate the power of saying “Yes” to customers. Take a leaf out of Henry Low from Sanderson Motors (Mercedes Representative) and tell them the good news. When they have a request (as long as it is reasonable and you can achieve it) tell them that you can do it and give them a realistic expectation of completion time and the cost involved.
6. Say SORRY!! Know how to apologise when something goes wrong. The customer may not always be right but they need to think they have won. Deal with problems immediately and let customers know exactly what you have done.
7. Underpromise and overdeliver. Give more than expected. Develop your unique selling proposition (USP) and think of ways to elevate you firm above the competition.
8. Encourage Feedback. Get regular feedback. Encourage and welcome suggestions about how your firm could improve. Look to client surveys as a good way to attract this feedback and act on it.
9. Treat employees well. Employees are your internal customers and need a regular dose of appreciation. Appreciation always should stem from the top. This is the role of the Partners!